background

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Merry Month of Blogging | Counting down to Christmas

Day Sixteen, Seventeen and Eighteen

Blogging every day in a month is hard work (I know I've already whined about this)! In theory it sounds like a great idea. In the real world, blogging ranks pretty low on my list of priorities when I've got tons of other stuff to do. Regardless, even if I haven't blogged every day this month, I have still enjoyed putting up the posts more regularly than I have this year.

Its officially one week until Christmas and I can't believe its come so fast! I started making my preparations in October for Christmas because I knew November and December would be a little rough because of my surgery(s). It's been fun to be in a Christmas mind a little longer this year since the month of December goes by so quickly!

I love Christmas. I love everything about it - the colors, the presents, the decorations, the music, the food, and most importantly, the hope and love it brings. I'm not a big fan of holidays designed to show one person love (Valentines = blech, Mother's Day = horrifying disappointment, ect...You get the drift.) But Christmas is different. Christmas is about the birth of Jesus (even though biblical scholars don't think it really happened in December, closer to Easter time - I think.)

With a 4-year old, the true meaning of Christmas can get a little muddled sometimes. Its so easy to loose sight of what is really important at this time of year. No, it isn't Candy Cane (our Elf on the Shelf) or Santa Claus. It isn't the Christmas presents under the tree, shopping or looking at lights. It's celebrating the birth of our Savior.

Christmas is just around the corner. In seven days, it will be done for this year. I am really sad about that. We love looking at Christmas lights as a family. It's something that James really likes and has helped Bridget love it as well. It's sad to think that in two weeks, most of the Christmas lights will be turned off. By New Year's, most people take their Christmas trees down. Two weeks from now, everything changes.

But this isn't meant to be a sad post, quite the contrary. This year we have much to be thankful for and much to celebrate. James has a job, I am healthy and cancer free and Bridget is a thriving 4-year old. That's just the abbreviated version of the Fisher Grateful List, it could go on for days. This year, Christmas has been truly merry and bright. It's been filled with giggles, beautiful lights, presents, singing, and most importantly, family.

Christmas is only a week away and I can't wait for it to get here. We're spending Christmas at our house this year and I can't wait to see the look on Bridget's face when she sees what Santa brought her. It's going to be an awesome day!

No comments: