background

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Valentines Day 2011 | I {heart} Decorations

In general, I think Valentine's Day is about the most useless holiday. A whole day to show the people you love how much you care about them? Lame. You should be doing that every day. My approach to Valentine's day is have low expectations and you won't be disappointed. I'm happy to report that my day was hardly disappointing again this year.

Regardless about my feelings, having a child is oodles of fun for Valentines day and Bridget and I have had tons of fun making Valentines for her to take to her class and to decorate the house. This year since I have found Pinterest, I've been so inspired to create things in my home and for my family. Although I just got my decorations up this weekend, I still did it before the dreaded day, so I'm good.

I tweaked my back last week when our car slid off the road so I've been laid up the last week. Last Friday night James took Bridget to the Utah gymnastics meet and gave me five blissful hours to myself. Sigh. I watched "Pride and Prejudice" and crafted the whole time. Sigh.

So what did I do with  my time? I made sewn heart "curtains" after I saw them on Ashley's blog (She is fab by the way, she has great projects and gives great advice). I cut out thousands of hearts from an old book in all sizes and then sewed them together. Labor intensive, a little. Fingers cramping by the end, you bet. Worth it? Oh yeah.


Isn't it pretty? I love looking at it, especially when the heat comes on and it makes them sway. In addition to the book hearts I also cut out some pink hearts from card stock and threw those in there too.  




I LOVE sewing paper like this! I did it for Bridget's birthday part and I love the effect. It's really easy and goes pretty fast too. 

While we were hanging these up, I realized how filthy our windows are. Luckily it was warm outside that day! Look what a good helper James is out there cleaning them for me.


 I just love the sun hitting these hearts. They are so pretty!

These hearts are in my kitchen window.

In addition to my hearts in the window, I also made a new wreath. I found this tutorial on Pinterest for a similar wreath. I had an old heart shaped wreath that was looking a little scary so I ripped everything off it and filled it with felt rosettes. It took some time but the end result is lovely I think.


 I am so digging my awesome door knocker! 


Another crafty project I tackled that night was a heart chandelier. It didn't turn out quite as I expected but I love the hearts. Next year I'm going to tie them together and use them as garland. 

I started out cutting three identical hearts from a folded piece of paper (they were easier to glue together when they matched up). I used a hot glue gun glue them together, right before the last glue and glued in the string.




My pile of lovely heart dangles and Mr. Darcy. Yum.


Here is what they looked like before I hung them up.


Here they are after I cut them.

 

This is the string I used. I picked it up from Hobby Lobby. Good stuff.


2 comments:

cathy said...

I LOVE those hearts! You are so crafty. And P&P? Tweaking your back may have been a blessing. :)

Unknown said...

Your articles are more than wow!
valentine kiss