background

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Rhubarb bliss


Do you like rhubarb? I find that most people haven't ever tried it, don't like it or love it. I fall into the last catagory. It is so yummy! After my Papa died, my mom dug up the rhubarb plant he had in his yard and took it to her house. This last weekend I cut a bunch of it and brought it home with me. Serious yum.

My favorite way to eat rhubarb is stewed in water and sugar. When I made it today I added some raspberries and they made it even better! Have you ever been to Mrs. Knotts chicken restaurant at Knotts Berry Farm? They serve it there stewed in cherry juice and its so good.

I guess one reason I love rhubarb is because it reminds me of my childhood and my Grandma Udy. The plant grew at her house and she would make stewed rhubarb for us when we would come visit, along with rice pudding. I miss her a lot and I think she would have liked me passing on the tradition to my Bridget.

2 comments:

Maren Nielsen said...

Looks super yummy! Now I want to try it. Knotts Berry Farm here I come!

Maren

cathy said...

I LOVE rhubarb, but I'm a sucker for sweet/sour stuff. One of the best desserts I've ever had is a strawberry rhubarb double crisp with homemade vanilla ice cream. I've even made rhubarb ice cream- it was delish.